Laurie Irvine - Engineer CKFC & short wave CKFX Vancouver 1934-37; CFJC Kamloops 1937-41; as Laurie Irving CKWX Vancouver 1941-1958, production manager 1942, special events director mid-fifties; CFCF Montreal 1958-61; CKWX 1961-63; BCIT Communications Dept. 1963-74; CJVI Victoria commentator 1974-75. Died January 23, 2002
Lundy Sanderson - CFJC Kamloops; host Nite Shift CJVI Victoria 1953; CKWX Vancouver 1960s; one of founding faculty members 1964 and department head Broadcast Communications BCIT 1974-85; led founding of Broadcast Educators Association of Canada late 1970s; retired in Qualicum Beach BC
History of Broadcast & Media Communications department
There were only seven departments on campus when BCIT opened its doors in 1964.
The concept for a training program designed to meet the needs of British Columbia’s broadcast industry was on the drawing board for a few years when the government of the time approached the broadcasting industry to solicit its involvement. The response was a hearty "Yes!" The charge was led by John Ansell from CKWX, Hal Davis from CKNW, and Hugh Palmer from the CBC. These industry-leaders established a committee to decide what this new animal should look like. Well-known BC broadcaster Laurie Irvine was hired to lead the faculty team that would develop our programs - the first Department Head until 1974.
The twenty five or so students who commenced studies in September of 1964 were located in the brand new radio and television training facilities on the fourth floor of what was then BCIT’s main building. A state-of-the-art McCurdy audio console formed the core of radio training and the television training area boasted Western Canada’s first colour television camera: a Philips Norelco unit that was loaned to the CBC from time to time so they could do colour broadcasts. Students were enthusiastic and tackled this new professional training with great dedication.
Proper business dress was the rule of the day at BCIT, so male students wore suits and ties, female students wore dresses or skirts. When it came time for a lab exercise, out came the white lab coats!
Early on, faculty members introduced the concept of a month of practicum training at the end of the school year. First-year students worked on practical projects in the Broadcast labs, while second-year students worked in industry positions. This practical exposure has led many students to full-time jobs ever since.
While rapidly establishing a reputation for turning out first-rate broadcasters, faculty began to recognize that different students had completely different interests and career goals within the industry. Initially three areas were established for students in their final term: radio, television, and news. By 1974, these areas had evolved into separate two-year programs in Radio, Television, and Broadcast Journalism. Intakes of up to 60 students annually were positioned to meet the industry’s growing demand.
Lundy Sanderson succeeded Laurie Irvine when he retired in 1974 and led the program through many changes, including an expanding intake of more than 100 students in 1977. Shortly after, the Radio and Broadcast Journalism programs were moved to newly renovated facilities in the north wing of the BCIT Library. Campus radio station CFML began broadcasting on local cable at 104.5 in January 1982. New construction in the early 80’s added full television training facilities to the Library wing. In January 1983, the 30,000 square feet Broadcast Centre you see today came into being.
As the founder of the Broadcast Educators Association of Canada (BEAC), an association representing over 20 programs across Canada that offer similar post-secondary training in broadcasting and media, Lundy has been joined over the years by several other faculty members serving in various capacities on the BEAC board.
See Bio on Brian Antonson