On April 1, Dr. Clem Davies of the Centennial Methodist Church opened CFCL on 410 meters with 500 watts of power.
CFCL's studios moved from the church to the Fletcher Brothers store on Douglas Street.
CFCL changed to 910 kHz with 500 watts. CFCL carried on as a full-time religious station until 1925 when Dr. Davies left the church. George Deauville obtained a new license for the station, moved the transmitter downtown, changed the call letters to CFCT, and began operating it as a commercial station. The studios moved from the Fletcher store to the top floor of the Toronto Dominion Bank building on Douglas St.
CFCT switched from 910 to 630 kHz. Power remained at 500 watts.
Studios moved from the TD building to the Central Trust building on View Street.
CFCT changed from 630 to 1430 kHz. Power was reduced to 50 watts.
CFCT moved from 1430 to 1450 kHz with 50 watts.
Listing: CFCT 1450 kHz 50 watts.
On March 29, CFCT moved from 1450 to 1480 kHz with 500 watts. The Victoria Colonist purchased CFCT on October 1, and subsequently sold 50% to Taylor, Person & Carson Ltd., thereby forming The Island Broadcasting Co. The Colonist was owned by Jim Matson and family. TP&C managed the station. CFCT became CJVI.
Taylor, Pearson & Carson Ltd. took control of CJVI.
CJVI moved its transmitter site from Portage Inlet to Cedar Hill Road. Power increased to 5,000 watts. Studios moved from the Central Trust Building to the second floor of the Imperial Optical building at 817 Fort Street.
CJVI increased power from 5,000 to 10,000 watts in April.
Harold Carson died. Taylor, Pearson & Carson becomes Selkirk Holdings Ltd.
Transmitting facilities moved to Strongtide Islet, off Oak Bay.
Approval was given by the BBG in March to move the transmitter site.
Selkirk Holdings becomes a publicly traded company.
On December 31, Island Broadcasting Co. Ltd. was given permission to transfer 150 common shares from Sussex Management Associates Ltd. to Selkirk Holdings Ltd. This increased Selkirk's ownership in CJVI from 75 to 100%. The management of Sussex was closely associated with Selkirk.
CJVI became known as “VI-90” on January 22.
CJVI began broadcasting in stereo in January. CJVI dropped its long-time country format for a mix of adult contemporary and nostalgia.
A full-time adult-contemporary format was adopted.
On September 28, the CRTC approved Maclean-Hunter Ltd.'s purchase of Selkirk Communications and for the transfer of CJVI and several other stations from MH Acquisition Inc. to Rogers Broadcasting Ltd.
CJVI dropped its long-time affiliation with the CBC.
CJVI-AM switched from an Oldies format to News/Talk on April 1. CJVI adopted the slogan "AM 900, Victoria's Information Superstation".
On June 30 the CRTC announced approval of an application by Rogers Broadcasting to replace AM station CJVI with a new FM station to serve Victoria. The station was licensed to operate on the frequency of 103.1 MHz with an average effective radiated power of 9,400 watts (20,000 watts peak). The Commission had previously denied the application because Rogers had proposed the same frequency (107.3) as one approved for use by Seacoast Communications, which made the proposal technically mutually exclusive.
Subsequently, Rogers and CKMO Radio Society (CKMO Radio) agreed that, subject to Commission approval, they would exchange the frequencies currently used by CJVI and CKMO-FM Victoria. CJVI operated on the frequency of 900 kHz with 10,000 watts, while CKMO-FM had operated on 103.1 MHz as a low-powered station with 50 watts.
On September 2 CJVI AM 900 signed off the air at 5:05 p.m. after over 78 years of continuous broadcasting. Minutes later, CHTT-FM "Hot 103 - Today's Hit Music" signed on with 'N Sync's "Bye, Bye, Bye"
At 4 p.m. on January 29, the station became “JACK FM”, starting off with ZZ Top's “Sharp-Dressed Man”. "We felt it was time for Victoria to have this kind of format," said vice-president and market manager Kim Hesketh.
Home: BC Radio History